Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 30 July 2014

WOYWW 269

I cannot believe it is Wednesday again.  What a frantic couple of weeks I am having!  I am still not sure what day of the week it is, never mind what I am supposed to be doing at any given time.

As you may have gathered by last week's very belated post,  The two day Clarity Retreat was a roaring success, and we are all looking forward now to next year's event.  All those who had been in previous years agreed that it was the best ever.  As it was my first experience of the two day event, I had nothing to compare it with, but I loved every second.


I still cannot show you any of the projects we did, as there are still a couple of sessions to go next week, and we do not want to spoil it for those still to come.  What I can show you is a card I did yesterday in 55 minutes from start to finish, using this month's Clarity New Design Club stamp and stencil.

The stencil was two Ginkgo leaves, and the stamp was the little spray of Lady's Smock (Cardamine pratensis (cuckoo flower or lady's smock), is a flowering plant in the family Brassicaceae, native throughout most of Europe and Western Asia.).  It is a pretty little wildflower that I always cherish in my garden.  It is delicate and understated.

I also used a technique I had already seen from Maria Simms and we actually did for the first time at the Retreat - that of making your own multi-coloured ink pad, using various shades of Distress inks.  If you keep your home made pads in a ziplock bag, then they are good to use for quite a while and will save no end of time if you want to do multiple stamps as I did on this card.

Each of the Ginkgo leaves was stencil brushed individually, starting with pale yellow and then shading down with two different greens.  I used the final green to brush around the corners and edges and then very lightly over the whole thing to create a misty effect.  For 55 minutes effort, I was quite pleased with this one.

As I am having more work done this week (the final run of raised beds and a path relaid (not to mention getting some repairs done to the neighbour's fence to keep my dogs from escaping) I am working downstairs on the computer desk - I am being very careful, Doug, not to get ink in dangerous places.  I am also taking the opportunity to mount up all the projects still outstanding from the workshops with Maria Simms and Sally-Ann Hanes.

I was going to make it very short and sweet, as Julia prefers, but once again, my fingers and brain did not quite compute that idea.  Anyway, it is time I sent you on your merry way with coffee cup in hand to visit WOYWW Central and meet all the other lovely people who meet up there each Wednesday.  I hope to meet up with you again as we wander round all the desks on show.  Have a great week.

29 comments:

Debbie Rock said...

I do love that card Maggie ... love the colours and everything! Glad you had a fab time at the retreat - am even thinking I might come next year (maybe!) as you can stay in your own accommodation so we could be off somewhere in the caravan and I still get to join in. Can't wait to see what else you made. Happy WOYWW'ing! Love Debbie xXx

Julia Dunnit said...

Its not long and rambling wither M! I think you have this stencilling off to an art now..the leaves look real! Glad you had a good time at the two-dayer..I know drom FB that the journey was a bit perilous, so its god that it was worth it!

Carol Rigby said...

Your card looks beautiful.Happy WOYWW.

Julia Dunnit said...

Well this may be a double comment, I clicked away so fast I didn't see if you moderate or if I cancelled!
I love the card, your stencilling skills are fab - the leaves look real at this angle. Glad that the FB tale of the perilous journey hasnt clouded your enjoyment of the two-dayer.

My name is Cindy said...

Wow Maggie I can't believe that only took 55 minutes, it is beautiful! Glad you had a wonderful time, I know you are a great admirer of all things Clarity - you must have been like a kid in a sweetshop!! Hope you have a great Wednesday - keep that ink safe now!! Hugs, Cindy x

J said...

Gorgeous card and stencilling is amazing, a skill I'm just learning so I've a long way to go.
Jan S. No 49

Anonymous said...

Perfect description - it is delicate and understated. I never did manage the retreat but am keeping it in mind - maybe in the fall I'll find one matches up with a free weekend...I live in hope. Sounds like you had a blast!

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (5)

glitterandglue said...

That card is beautiful, Maggie. I, too, love Lady's smock. When it starts to appear in our garden - that is, in the lawn! - I refuse to mow the grass until the flowers are all over!!!
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #1

Helen said...

I love the card, that stencil is beautiful, and like Julia says, your stencilling is perfection! Helen 7

ssn.wht@gmail.com said...

Maggie - I really like the colours and composition of this card - the little touch of pink on the wildflowers at the bottom is so subtle, but beautiful with the green. Thanks for sharing your ideas, Susan

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, I love your Ginkgo card - it's simply beautiful. The Ginkgo is one of my favourite trees because if the pretty shaped leaves. That's a very useful tip for keeping the home made ink pads good - I'll have to remember it next time I make one. Thanks for visiting earlier. Have a good week. Elizabeth x #53

Theresa said...

lovely colors you used and lots of movement on the card. great card xx

Anne said...

A lovely card Maggie. Happy WOYWW Anne x #25

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Love the card. I have the stamp and stencil but haven't used them yet.
Hope you have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x #38

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg lovely card,gorgeous colours. Love the technique. Pleased you enjoyed the workshop too. Doug has your PC done will get in touch for bringing it home,lol. Love Shax

Linda Page said...

I love this card Maggie I just think the colour of the Gingko is fab. good luck and thanks for entering

Lunch Lady Jan said...

So glad you enjoyed the workshop...your stencilling is immaculate!
Hugs, LLJ 2 xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

Loving the card, your retreat will stay with you and I'm sure you'll have great fun trying all the techniques. Take care Zo xx 43

sandra de said...

Gorgeous card and thanks for the infor on the little flowering plant. I always wondered what it was called. So pretty.
Sandra de @52

Jo Rice said...

This is beautiful Maggie, and such a delicate design...I love it ....thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge, and good luck.....hugs...Jo. X

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah wonderful.. no totally amazing is that card Maggie you have been inspired .. have seen the ink pads so know what you mean think you need felt though to put inks on.. and dont have felt :D house jobs are roaring along still too.. happy WOYWW and happy Smiles day too :D Shaz in oz.x #27

Mrs.D said...

Maggie, that card is lovely, and all done in 55 mins. Would take me hours and not look as beautiful in the end. The shading is so realistic. Well done
Chris #45

Lisapmac said...

Lovely card Margaret, very fresh and springlike, love your colour choices , congrats again on your Top 5 in the clarity challenge xx

Mrs P said...

Congrats Maggie on getting in the Top 5 - Beautiful card using the new stamp & stencil for the Clarity Club. Well done! Carole x

Mrs P said...

Congrats Maggie on getting in the Top 5 - Beautiful card using the new stencil & stamps form the Clarity Club. Carole xxx

Pat said...

Congratulations on making the Top 5 which is truly deserved as this is beautiful. I have the stamp but have not got round to using it yet but having seen it used so wonderfully here I really must!

Andrea said...

what a beautiful card the techniques youve used are stunning and its amazing that you completed it in such a short time.Iam pleased to hear you had such a wonedrful time...I am looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations crafty hugs and belated woyww wishes andrea#21

Mrs A. said...

This looks very striking. I love the colours. Would love to do a retreat with Barbara Gray. Hugs Mrs a.

Debbie Rock said...

Just wanted to report success taking inspiration from your card Maggie ... also branched out and did some pink & green ones and they worked ok too. Thanks for visiting my blog and sorry I've not got back to you before now ... it's a great idea to make the sample crochet squares all the same size to then utilise into a project but I was following youtube clips and if they said chain 22 stitches I chained 22 stitches. The next clip said chain 11 so that's what I did ... I wasn't about to even think about making them all the same size at that point ... finally went for a far more simple bobble stitch and am loving it thus far! Love Debbie xXx