Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 3 July 2013

WOYWW 213 - not my desk but the closest I can get

What a day!  Rachel (KatzElbows) remarked last week that she felt tired just reading my blog.  I am writing this on Tuesday afternoon as I very much doubt if I shall be in any state to put one word after another by tonight.

As you can seem I am in the middle of having my house roof completely replaced - and not before time.  This was something that Geoff and I were well aware needed to be done.  The builders are known to many friends as being good and trustworthy, and I have been waiting since April for them to be free.  The scaffolding arrived at pig-squealing hours last week, which was a real shock to the system.

The actual work on the roof started on Monday morning with the arrival of the skip and the setting up of the chute, and the two of them have worked hard ever since, fuelled by tea, of course.  The dogs are dividing their time between barking at the strange noises and hiding in a dark corner.

The next person to arrive was the pest control man to deal with a large nest of bumble bees in the one corner of the bay, before the roofers had to do that bit.  (The local council will not do anything but rats, unless you are in receipt of every benefit known to man)  I tried bee keepers to see if they could remove the bees safely, but they were not interested.  My next try was Defra, who put me onto the National Bee Unit. A very nice man there told me that they could not be relocated, and I would need to get a pest control company in to do the job.  I was shocked to find out that it is not possible to relocate bumble bees, and they are not protected anyway.  I was also shocked when a huge one escaped the collection bucket and landed on my trouser leg - my heart failure for today.  Apparently, this particular variety are not native bees and have arrived from the continent somehow.  I still feel bad about them being killed off, but my roof will not wait till the autumn when the colony will die anyway. 

I just about managed lunch before realising that the gardener had arrived as well.  He always brings his dog with him, who is very well behaved and so much calmer than my two hooligans.  He was followed swiftly by the delivery of my tablets from the pharmacy - I usually collect them but time is against me this week, not to mention the problem of my Achilles. 

While writing this, I have had so many phone calls, including one from Severn Trent, regarding our sewers.  Instead of running up the roadway, ours all run through our front gardens, and our house is the lowest point on this part of the system, so blocks up with everyone else's "stuff".  As Geoff is no longer here to rod the drains to clear them, I needed to clarify things - Severn Trent have assured me that it is their responsibility, which is good.  

I now have to get ready for my Tuesday visitors.  That also involves shampooing the lounge carpet where dear Gemma was disgustingly sick, no warning!  Then, I shall have to get the alcohol tray ready - and I shall be drinking (probably sloe gin) to hopefully sleep tonight. 

Sorry Julia for gong on a bit this week, but I must just say that I have finally finished with the bulk of the paperwork.  I still have a minor mountain to shred, and six A4 files to archive in case I need them, but I can see most of this desk downstairs.  I still have a number of letters to send out, but they are not urgent, and the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter all the time.  I can give myself permission to take a little time to craft, that is, after my massage and hair do on Thursday.  Yippee!  

If you are still with me, thank you for sparing so much time, and I am sure you are ready to visit lots more interesting crafty spaces, courtesy of Julia at Stamping Ground.  See you all soon. 

PS this link came via Barbara Gray of Clarity Stamps, and while going through it doing my voting, I found there is a section for Best Crafting Blog.  http://mailer.eonic.co.uk/t/r-l-bstlo-jyegjydj-n/
No contest is there, it has to be Julia every time - get voting, folks.
PPS Hope this rain clears up - never mind Wimbledon (although that is great), but I am more concerned with my roof.

39 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

Oh my, you are busy again this week! It will all be so much better and less stressful for you once it is done and dusted, I am sure. What a shame about the bumble bees... you would imagine that someone would want to re-home them as there seems to huge losses to BB numbers in recent years. Annette #4

Maria said...

Oh my gosh your house looks so busy well the outside lol...
Hope everything gets done quickly and I hope the weather stays good so all your repairwork can get done...
Have a great week hope you get to do some crafting...

Maria #8

Create With Joy said...

Wow - you've got so much going on! Best of luck to you!

Create With Joy #7
http://create-with-joy.com

Nikki said...

That's a shame about the bees I thought they were protected or at least a bee keeper would want some honey bees Good luck with the roof and Have a happy wed
hugs Nikki #5

Unknown said...

Every other creature on the planet has some organization who protects them, they say our bees are disappearing. My hbby is deathly allergic, so we would have had to get someone to get rid of them.
Looks like you have lots going on. Hope you get some peace and quiet back soon!!! Have a great weekend. (((HUGS)))
Kim
WOYWW #7

Unknown said...

Wow...you really have a lot going on. Happy crafting #12

Neet said...

Can't sleep, won't sleep is y line for this early morning and after reading your saga I can add that I am counting my lucky stars.
Good to see you keeping so busy even though it is exhausting simply to read. The goings on at your house would make for a good tv soap series.
Take care and hope the sloe gin worked.
Hugs, Neet xx 16

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. How wonderful to get your roof sorted. You are certainly busy - I also find keeping busy the best way to get through day to day life. Well done for continuing to caravan. I actually had a caravan by myself before I met Rich, so know how difficult it can be to cope with the towing/servicing/maintenance/arriving on site by yourself. However, it is definitely worth it when you have some lovely breaks away. The only thing I would do differently now is have a motorhome - we hope to get one within 2 years. Ali x #33

The Taming of the Glue said...

What a week you've had so far. You've earned a massage and a VERY large gin! Hugs. Pam#27

peggy aplSEEDS said...

whew, i hope all will be well with your roof, your sewer, your visitors, your papers, your hair, etc. and that you finally have time to play! Happy WOYroof!

Helen said...

Wow, what a week... not sure I envy you it at all. Hope the work on the roof goes well and isn't hampered by the rain. Take care, Helen, 2

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Phew, Maggie, kinda agree about being exhausted just reading your blog!!

Phew again! - it always never ceases to amaze me how one thing leads to another and then another again sometimes ..

.. and does not seem to leave much room for breather - and this seems to be your lot at the moment..
I really earnestly pray for solution to all issue yet being sorted and those to come, and much grace and wisdom for you in the interim dear friend, happy WOYWW Shaz in oz.x #36

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh dear. Pretty stressful getting building work done.Glad you've bitten the bullet.You won't have to worry about your roof when done.
Judy #40

Silvia said...

I feel your Pain about the Roof! I remember only to well when we had our Loft conversion done a few Years ago.
It is a shame about the Bee's but I am afraid to say that I would have done the same
Happy WOYWW
Silvia #51

Julie Lee said...

Oh my! Your level of disruption puts my little kitchen reno to shame! Really, really enjoy that massage and hair-do - you deserve it!!! Interesting about the bees, actually and isn't that just life with everything coming at once? Sewers, gardeners etc., Hope today is less stressful. Julie Ann #49

Belinda Basson said...

OH MY WORD! YIP I am exhausted after reading this! Hope all is well in the end! #49

ria gall said...

Hi Maggie
I think you are in need of taking a step back and taking a deep breath. Good lord how are you coping with all this stuff going on I really hope there is some crafting time coming up for you
Happy WOYWW today I hope the rest of the week is a good one for you
Ria #52

Debbie Rock said...

Breath Maggie ... Breath!!!! What a lot you have on your plate - you must feel overwhelmed at times. Really admire how you are getting on top of it all and hope you are back at your crafting very soon. Much love to you. Debbie xXx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Blimey, you are coping so well with a multitude of problems..way to go! And don't feel too bad about the bees, you did your best to move the, but if they were a non native species, them it's not quite so bad. I wonder how they found your house???
Good luck with the roof..hope all goes smoothly.....
Hugs, LLJ 59 xx

Bernice said...

What an awful time you've been having recently, and its so much more difficuot when you have to deal with all these problems by yourself. My Dad passed away unexpectedly 18 months ago, and Mum has been finding all the paperwork etc, so difficult. Hope you get your roof sorted soon and get some crafting time to relax.
Bernice #73

Anonymous said...

wow, sounds VERY busy at your place. the poor bumblebess :( ...I din't know either that they can't be relocated. I learned something new from you blog :)
Cheers & good luck with everything!
Jana #76

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Shame about the bees but it had to be done. and just reading the post exhausted me! Off to check the link now...enjoy your shredding :)

Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (19)

Monique said...

Glad you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel =)
Happy WOYWW and I wish you a lovely week
xx Monique #74

Laura said...

How odd that no one would take the bees...
Have a good week
Laura
83

Unknown said...

Yes, I'm tired too reading that lot and I dont rest on the laurels myself.
Bad luck on the dog puke, your two sound like mine I long for well behaved dogs, I am trying...

Good Luck with the roof, I think the UK has a better forcast for the next few days, though it did rain here over night.

shazsilverwolf said...

Morning Marg, up bright & early I see. I am as amazed as you about the bees. I would have expected a different reaction, I must admit. Glad the roof is getting sorted, you'll need that drink by tonight! Have a great week, love Shaz xx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, goodness but you have a lot going on. Casa Worthington is a haven of peace and tranquility in comparison. So sorry about the bees but you did do everything possible to save them. I think you deserve that sloe gin and a good night's sleep. Off to check out that link. Elizabeth x #60

JoZart Designs said...

Whew! You are really getting problems Maggie. I hope life sorts itself out for you soon. Rest assured though that you did do your best for those bees.
Love Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my goodness! I don't think I'd be waiting till the evening for a drink!! Fancy not being able to relocate those bees - you'd think somebody would want them at least for plant pollination! Chris119

Elizabeth said...

I'm sorry to hear that the bumble bees couldn't be relocated. You would think that with the worldwide bee decline that there would be some interest in preserving them. That's a shame. It'll be nice to get a new roof on the house though! :) #117

Anne said...

Hello Maggie gosh what a lot to deal with. I too am surprised that no one was interested in 'saving the bees'. Hope all goes well with the roof repairs. Take care. Hugs Anne x

Julia Dunnit said...

Cor Maggie, if the sloe gin has helped you sleep, I'll say hurrah! So much going on - you really are dealing with it so wonderfully, I hope you're proud of yourself..Geoff would be for sure. Desk for crafting or desk for paperwork..we're happy to have you here.

Cazzy said...

Hi Maggie,

You do have a lot to content with this week! My neighbours have the builders in, and have had for ages building an extension so our dogs keep shouting at them!

Cazzy x #113

Beansieleigh said...

My goodness, you have plenty on your plate, don't you?!.. I can imagine sloe gin looks pretty good at the end of a day like this!.. I saw your dog in a previous post. Is it a spaniel? We have a blonde cocker spaniel.. He's a little rascal, and likes to get into trouble sometimes, but we love him! (looks like we have the same black cat blog pets on our right side bars too!).. Nice meeting you today, via WOYWW! ~tina

Darnell said...

You are an inspiration, Maggie! I'm sorry that you have had one thing after another since Geoff passed, but you are dealing with it all in due course and admirably! Well done and a well-deserved cocktail or two at the end of the day is just right! All the best with getting that roof done. That'll be a huge relief. Big hugs and Happy WOYWW! Darnell #77

sandra de said...

You have every right to get it all off your chest and have a drink at the end. All the best with the new roof and all your friends will be back next week to cheer you on.
Sandra de

Twiglet said...

Wonderwoman!! You will be wearing your knickers on the outside next!! So glad you are managing to get all those jobs sorted. When it's all done you will just be free to chill and craft in comfort and know you won't get rained on or stung by bees! All the best. x Jo

Julie Lee said...

Thanks for your kind comment! I still felt humble when I read your plucky post! Julie Ann xx #54

Hettie said...

I need a lie down now after reading this!
Good luck with your roof replacement and sorry to hear about the bees!
Hugs
xx