Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 2 February 2011

WOYWW - 87

Sorry folks, I am rather late posting this week, but it is good to see you here all the same.  Before I show you what I have this week, I would like to thank all those who made it to my blog last week, and also those who joined as followers.

A slightly different workdesk this week.  I have finished the desperate cards, those that are needed this week, and have now till the end of the month to do the last three for February.  So, I decided the priority was to finish the shawl for the new baby, and try to get it done before he/she is actually born.  I started it over two years ago for our youngest grandaughter, but family troubles got in the way and it was never finished.  This time, I am doing it, so instead of playing with paper, paint, glue and things, I am busy fighting the worst written pattern I have ever met.  I do consider myself as a reasonably competent and experienced knitter, but I found one very critical mistake on the first line of the pattern.  It took eight attempts of knitting and unpicking to realise it was not me, but the design, and only by working it out mathematically did I get it sorted.  Now on the final border, there is one part which is very ambiguous, but very critical.  However, I think I have got it sorted now.  Watch this space!

My so tidy room last week is rapidly disintegrating.  We have to clear the lounge ready for tearing the wall boards off and demolishing the fireplace for a multi fuel stove.  That meant removing the cupboards where I kept all my embroidery threads for my cross stitch.  They were there because that is where I always sat to sew.  It has all landed now up in my craft room, together with my enamelling kiln and the bits to go with it (must get that out and have another go), the crepe and tissue paper I used to use at Christmas, and a couple more boxes of "stuff".  I did get very ruthless yesterday and threw away some things, manky zips, grotty elastic, press studs and hooks and eyes, and that sort of thing.

You can also see the cross stitch I started and nearly finished for my other grandaughter.  The excuse for not finishing that was that I broke my wrist and could do noting like that.  We also had a shunt in the car, being rear-ended by a car doing about 35mph when she hit us, pusing us forward into the car in front (we were stationary with the hand brake on).  That meant that I could not sit to do things like cross stitch for more that about 5 minutes at a time.  The unicorn is now the next project to finish once the shawl is done.

This is the parchment birth card for our great nephew which is now ready to post off.  It did take a lot of time, and I would not do parchment for anything but special occasions or for people who I know will appreciate the amount of work that goes into them.  The writing was done by doing a print out of the design, slotting the words into the right place (I used My Craft Studio Pro for this), then tracing the works from the front using a Quickie glue pen.  That is allowed to dry for a while (take the dog a walk or something else while you wiat), then with your finger, you carefully but fairly firmly rub fine glitter into the glue until it is covered completely.  Then use a paint brush or make soft make up brush to remove the excess, before turning the work over to the back.  You then need a small or medium ball embossing tool to emboss over the glittered words from the back.  The words will then really pop our and the glitter shines brilliantly.  I used one of the Martha Stewart glitters, which are brilliant.

Right, I am off now to wander through some of the many other desks on show this week courtesy of the wonderful Julia on http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/ (do take the time to read some of her wonderful blogs - you will have a little chuckle) , before heading back to the knitting.  I did actually manage to visit everyone last week, though it took a fair bit of time, and saw some wonderful ideas and desks.  Hope you have enjoyed what you see on mine this week.

25 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Ah thanks Maggie! had to smile at your UFO (unfinished object I have one of them a crotched tea cloth have only two out of 49 squares to do and it has been there for over 20 years being done!!
love the cross-stitch and glad you able to do it again,
love Shaz in oz.xx
PS watching the cyclone on 24 hour news..on cyclone in Qld.

Unknown said...

wonderful crafty bits there

thanks for the snoop
hugs
judie 58

nnalorac said...

Hi Maggie, your being kept very busy, your card is absolutely gorgeous, tried parchment a few times, very pretty but not enough patience! Hope your feeling better soon. Have a lovely day. Thanks for visiting my blog.Carolxx

Susanne said...

That birth card is fabulous - such loving care went into that - what a wonderful keepsake.

Pam said...

I have lots of UFO's I'm easily distrated and always moving onto smething new! Hugs Pam

shazsilverwolf said...

Love the card Marg,I posted my pic earlier, but can't put my link up till I get in from work, about 2.30, so can't start visiting till later.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, I've only ever managed to knit one shawl and that was for my firstborn. It takes a lot of patience even when the pattern is well-written so I do so admire you for persevering with a badly written one. The card is gorgeous - love the parchment work and that is a clever trick with the glue and glitter. Hope having the new stove doesn't cause too much chaos. Elizabeth x #96

Sarpreet said...

beautiful card, great workspace, happy woyww, thank you for sharing, #9

Anonymous said...

Your post is fascinating with all that you have going on and your obvious many talents. I again must say the parchment card has me in awe. Love to see new things.
Thanks for sharing!
Shari #103

Twiglet said...

Beautiful birth card and I am sure the shawl will be lovely.

LuLu said...

Howdy and happy WOYWW,
Nice desk - lovely cross stich! Thanks for sharing.

Would love for you to stop by my blog when you have a moment or 2.

Peace,
LuLu
http://lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com/2011/02/woyww-2211-laminatin-heaven-inside.html

okienurse said...

Oh my goodness you have been busy! Love the lacey shawl and I am sure your GD is going to love the embrodiered piece. Thanks for sharing.
Vickie #80

katemade designs said...

beautiful card. thanks for the glitter tip.

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Thanks Maggie for the tips on acetate have put them at the bottom of today's post as have put the acetate card up now and it worked fine the brayering method just needed the tweak of second layer underneath also brayered, and is very lovely,
ta muchly! though I will try the pens and peel-offs can see I am going to have to order some as this was a scarp off stamp set..I nicked it off it!
Love Shaz in oz.x

Starla said...

Wow! A busy lady you are! The parchment is lovely! Star 125

Angie said...

wow that baby card is absolutely beautiful.

Pam said...

Wow, such a variety in your crafting! Now, that's about as good an excuse as any to slow down for a bit. Hope your wrist/car are better now. The parchment card looks lovely.

Julia Dunnit said...

Wow Maggie you're busy! Lovely keepsake card for your great Nephew - I agree with you about giving the parchment cards. I think the shawl is a beautiful labour of love.

Anonymous said...

You're quite the Jane of all trades Maggie! The shawl would have had me stumped completely, I've been knitting a scarf for almost six months and it's still not finished!! Love the card, such a lot of work but so beautiful.

Hugs
Brenda 91

Mrs A. said...

I have a UFO sitting in the bottom of my knitting bag. A baby dress for my daugther. She will be 37yrs this March so don't think it will fit her now!!!
Hugs Mrs A. #82

Marjo said...

beautiful card. Thanks for the peek and sharing, hugs Marjo lucky #1

Leonie said...

Happy WOYWW! dont worry- I'm late too!!!!
thanks for popping by my blog.
have a fairy happy day
xxx fairy leonie :-)

Kathryn said...

really gorgeous parchment card, it will be a lovely keepsake. Wow on the boxes of threads, I have just one of those boxes full! I must get my last x stitch out, it must have been going for 2 years now! K x#90

Anonymous said...

fabulous, i have so enjoyed seeing your work space, love the parchment card too,
hope all is good with you and that your week is going well
take care for now
June

Spyder said...

Fabulous work space and I just love your useful boxes, I have a few little ones, and it's always the one I haven't got that suddenly is needed! Lovely parchment card
((Lyn))
Happy very late WOYWW!